Saturday 15 May 2010

I went into town for some glue..........


This morning I went into town for some glue; Super Glue and Araldite Rapid to be specific. I went with my wife, who was also running errands. As we were coming home my wife spotted a 'Sale' sign in a jeweler's window. It's coming up to her birthday, so I wasn't that keen to go in (I'm a Yorkshireman), but eventually I was persuaded.
It turned out to be a liquidation sale - they were selling everything, screwed down or not! What did I come home with? A new 9 drawer painting desk in mahogany (pictured above) topped with leather covered with 3/8s plate glass. At first I thought the price tag was for something on the desk - but no, it was for the desk itself. I couldn't refuse.....
.......IT COST TEN POUNDS!!!!!

12 comments:

Vexillia said...

Nice one James. A true Yorkshire deal.

Caliban said...

I'm Scottish, and I'm jealous!

Paul

Consul said...

I'm infinitely jealous. I wish I had that kind of luck...

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

What an incredible buy!

Geminian said...

You won a watch there dear boy and like Caliban I`m jealous too. "Thou shalt not covet thy fellow blogger`s desk."

Al Amos said...

A steal at ten times the price. Good job!

al

Broeders said...

Wow! Bargain of the century.

I'll give you £20 for it!

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi Phil,

Nope, bargain of the century was a solid oak cabinet, with 4 plate glass sliding doors, that I picked up at the local auction rooms (now houses 1200+ Italian Wars figures). I took £50 and a hope; I got it for £2.

Dogui said...

Maybe it has a curse or something?

subedai said...

What a steal. Going by the picture it looks beautiful (from a chap with a City and Guilds in Furniture Restoration). To be perfectly honest I would look after it and I DEFINATELY wouldn't use it as a painting table; maybe a computer table -it really needs a bronze strip light along the front and to be shown off in an oak paneled library. (I would also get it valued) Signed Mr Green with envy!

JAMES ROACH said...

Hi Subedai,

I don't think it is an antique. Rather a well built piece of reproduction 'shop' furniature.

Peter said...

I'm a little gob-smacked and a lot envious. I need a second painting table as the son and heir seems to be all over my current table. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a curse or a blessing from the Gods!

Salute
von peter himself
http://web.mac.com/nataliendpeter